2017년 5월 3일 수요일

Game as a medium

Detention

Detention is a horror survival game which is based on 1960s Taiwan under martial law.
There are two main characters, Ray and Wei. The first of game begins with Wei's point of view. So I think the main character is Wei, but the main character was not Wei. This strange composition was really inspired for me.

This game is composited by 4 chapters. The first chapter was Ray is trying to find the exit by escaping the ghosts. Through it, I was able to know the story of the overall game. 
As I mentioned, The background of the game is 1960s Taiwan under martial law. 
So, there are a lot of teachers from the military in the school, and the teachers are trying to find a traitor. Here the traitor means in this game, people who want to break up a dictatorship and achieve democracy.  

When I played this game, I thought about this game just shout democracy under dictatorship, but the game describes tragedies in a way that is far more effective than drawing such struggles.

 I think the game seems to be getting players' empathy by concentrating on individuals who could not but be on the brink of dictatorship. They all want to live happily, that is all. Detention was a game that left me a lot of impressions.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기